This article is about ways on how to save electricity at home, work or at school, as they are applicable in any situation. There is an increasing concern on finding and popularizing new ways on how to save energy and electricity, due to the high cost of energy and negative impact on the environment, but ironically, the most efficient methods are also the easiest to use. In this article, we will show you tips and facts on both how to decrease your electricity bill, save money and make a difference for the environment.
In order to save electricity, you need the following:
- Energy saving light bulbs
- Light color paint
- Solar panels
- Wind turbine
- Safety gloves
- Safety glasses
- If you heat water using electricity, lower the temperature by 5-10º F
Tips on how to save electricity
1. Replace all incandescent light bulbs with modern energy saving light bulbs. The energy saving bulbs are now available in a large variety of forms and sizes, so it is easy to choose the one that suit perfectly your needs and tastes. They are more expensive to buy, but they last up to 10 times more than a regular light bulb. By replacing all your bulbs, in a two-bedroom house you will save 5-10% of your electricity bill. At first glance, it might not seem much, but it adding to the other methods, you will feel the difference in your pocket. In addition, switch off the lights if you don’t need them: in a regular house you can save about 100$ a year, just from switching off the lights when you don’t need them.
2. You could invest in green energy, as the cost will pay off in a few years. Consequently, you can heat water by installing solar panels on the roof of your house, or generate electricity by installing a wind turbine, if you live in an area with strong and steady winds.
3. Boil just enough water for your needs. If you want to make a cup of coffee, do not boil more water than necessary. Strange as it might seem, it will make a significant impact on your electricity bill.
4. Unplug the mobile charger, after you have finished using it. After you have disconnected it from your mobile phone, it will still consume energy, so unplug it as soon as your phone’s battery is fully charged.
5. Do not leave any of your appliances on stand-buy, as they will drain a lot more energy as compared to turning them off. Many people tend to use their computers or TVs for several hours, and then put them on stand buy mode for the rest of the day, thinking that they aren’t consuming energy. This is a false belief, as the appliances still drain a lot of energy. Turning them off will make a great impact on your electricity bill – around 5-10% a month.
6. Take into consideration replacing your air conditioners with fans. Air conditioners keep the air cool, but at a high cost: they are the biggest electricity consumers in your house. Install fans and use them alternatively with the AC units, or at least try to set up the thermostat as high as possible. Remember that air conditioners will consume 3% more energy, for each degree under 80º F / 26º C you set the thermostat.
7. Use the dishwasher only when it is full, otherwise use the half-load or economy setting. In addition, you don’t have to set the temperature high for your washing machine, as detergents are designed to clean clothes and dishes also at lower temperatures. This will reduce the electric bill, but also save water and detergent, all you have to do is to be methodical.
8. Pull off the curtains, paint the walls and ceiling in warm colors as to let the sun light in. In this manner, you will both save a little more electricity, and have your house bright.
9. Make sure your refrigerator, air conditioner units and other intensive electricity-consumers are working properly. If they are broken, call a qualified professional to get them fixed, or buy new energy efficient appliances.
10. When you go of your house for a long period of time, on holiday or on a business trip, make sure you switch off all lights and unplug as many appliances as possible. In this manner, you will save energy and protect the environment from useless consumption of electricity.
Thank you for reading our tips on how to save electricity and we recommend you to check out the rest of our articles regarding ways to save money. Please share our articles with your friends, by using the social media widgets.